Dog Beach Miami Opening
(part 1 of 3)
It was a beautiful day to open the very first new dog beach in Miami Beach! Fun Paw Care was present to answer all of Miami pet parent’s questions about dog training and behavior and to join in the festivities. Miami Beach Mayor Phillip Levine was swimming with his American Boxer Earl and the always smiling Miami Dade County Commissioner, Sally Heyman with her gorgeous brown Labrador Retriever were in attendance. It was tons of fun for all who attended this beta run dog beach. This is an asset to all of our community members, (furry and non) that live, thrive and call Miami Beach home.
Dog Trainer Miami Tip of the Day
What makes a great dog beach life guard? Well, as a life guard for 6 years during my youth, I know firsthand what it takes. Some of the things that are not taught are dog CPR and First Aid, how to save a dog who is drowning and anything about dog behavior! Consequently, much more supervision and knowledge are required in order to keep everyone (dogs and people) safe on a dog beach.
We have previously discussed the dog parks Miami has to offer and the etiquette that residents and their dogs should display. Dog beach parks should be supervised by a force free dog behavior specialist with proper certifications such as a certified professional dog trainer (CPDT) earned from the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT), and/or a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant (CDBC) earned from the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants (IAABC).
Here is the new City of Miami Beach Dog Beach Code. Some unique specifications and additions to the new Miami dog beach and the qualifications that a dog life guard and behavior specialist/supervisor should encompass are:
- (CPDT) and/or (CDBC) behavior specialists to ensure the public’s safety (both 4 legged and 2)
- Dog gate/fences surrounding the dog beach to ensure the safety of all residents so that off-leash dogs cannot run away and upset other patrons of the beach, families and/or children.
- Unlike a regular dog park, the beach has rip currents, jelly fish, sharks, wild life, and sea turtles.
- Life guards for the dogs and behavior specialists to supervise the dogs and pet parent’s behavior. A human rescue life guard is not enough.
- Proper hydration fountains for dogs.
- Shaded area for dogs to ensure they do not get overheated
- Doggie poop bag stations because dog feces contaminate our water.
- Adequate signage to inform the public they are entering a dog beach with the hours posted
- Fresh water shower for dogs
- Lighting for dusk and dawn if open during that time. As it is now Miami Beaches are open when it is dark out.
- No children under 12 allowed, only supervised kids over the age of 12. Most dog bites happen to children 12 and under and represent the highest risk for dog attacks.4-5
- No unaltered dogs, male or female
- Dog behavior supervisors certified in dog CPR & First Aid
- Canine Good Citizen (CGC) behaved dogs or equivalent, to show which dogs are well behaved and have responsible pet parents
- No abusive equipment. Absolutely no choke chains, prong collars or shock collars.
- Separate dog beach parks by weight of dogs so that dogs of all sizes may enjoy the beach and not get injured
- Dogs up-to-date on vaccinations, rabies shots and all health certificates
- Microchiped pets
- Cameras for security and documentation of incidents
Innovative ideas for a Miami dog beach
- A fee or membership based system to enter a dog beach or dog park. A membership card that shows you and your dog are responsible canine good citizens. This membership will help pay for staffing of the dog beach cleaning, materials and maintain residents safety better…etc. This has worked very well in Aventura dog parks and many others.1-2
- Poop methane digester that powers the lights for the park3
Dog and puppy pictures are often in random order so make sure you scroll through all of these and other blog post pictures during the month if you are looking for your pup.
Dog Beach Miami Opening – Pictures taken, 05-10-2014
Share to vote for the cutest dogs in Miami today! Dogs who are shared the most win!