Dog Trainers in Miami – Tip of the Day
How to stop my puppy from biting?
Puppies are god’s way of saying sorry about all the unsavory characters in humankind. 🙂 But let’s face it; mouthing puppies with razor sharp teeth do not make it fun to be in the presence of these little four legged fur balls of love and joy. What’s an exasperated owner to do?
Go to puppy training classes or puppy training sessions. Puppy exploring the world around them will bite and gnaw on just about anything. It is completely normal and natural behavior. Puppies mouth for many reasons: to teethe, to feel good, to explore the world, to socially interact and learn what is appropriate and inappropriate. Creating good habits early on will teach a puppy what is appropriate to chew and what is not.
To my dismay one ignorant piece of advice given to many dog owners by outdated traditional dog “trainers” is to abusively hold their dog’s mouth shut, smack them, grab them by the scruff, hold them down, spray water on them, and/or yell or hit them. These methods only destroy relationships, confuse the dog, reinforce fear, and distrust.
So what can a dog owner do about a puppy that bites?
- Train your puppy. Or if he/she knows a behavior already, cue them to offer that behavior and click, reward when they are successful.
- Interact with your dog, play fetch with a ball or frisbee, or play tug with different toys.
- Fill interactive stuffed chew toys and games to teach good habits.
- If you dog is hyper active expel some of their energy by going for a walk, exploring the neighborhood. Do not attempt to soothe or stroke them when they are riled up or you may get some not so fun puppy bites.
- You can leave the room and go elsewhere.
- If you YIPE loud and short, it may startle and work with some puppies.
- Try to adjust the setting, room, your body language and posture.
- Remove your body parts and appendages from harm’s way or turn away when they are rowdy. Redirect their attention and mouthing to something appropriate and productive.
It is natural for puppies to bite, they are not being spiteful. It is never too early to teach a puppy training or behavior. Do not delay or it will only get more difficult after your dog has taught themselves and learned inappropriate behaviors.
Dog and puppy pictures are often in random order so make sure you scroll through all of these and other blog post pictures during the month if you are looking for your pup.
Share to vote for the cutest dogs in Miami today! Dogs who are shared the most win!